Zero to panic in five minutes

So. You've gotten that pinky down, and are back in front of the computer screen again, with renewed hope, refreshed eyes and a rejuvenated mind. And then...

*Word document

*click*

*Open

*Recent File

*hover over odd-named file that has nothing to do with the actual title because it's never been changed*

*click*

*sip*

*blink*

*scroll to current editing page*

*sip*

*yawn*

*read*

*highlight*

*delete*

*type out better description*

*read*

*pat self on back*

*save*

*scroll down*

*read*

*yawn*

*sip*

*scroll back up*

*highlight*

*delete*

*type out previous words that were just deleted because who do I think I am that was too much I'm no Hemingway how pretentious of me*

*sip*

*read*

*read some more*

*edit*

*embellish beginning of chapter*

*edit word that makes no sense and laugh har har har*

*yawn*

*blink*

*blink again*

*think, Oh my GOSH I am tired*

*think, Wait, am I tired, or am I bored?*

*feel heart racing*

*gulp*

*think, Am I? Bored? Really?*

*attempt to breathe*

*think, I am! I'm BORED! I've bored myself! I'm boring! IT'S boring! It's ALL boring! I suck! This is terrible! What was I thinking? I'm insane! I can't do this! I'm an idiot!*

*catch breath*

*sip coffee*

*read some more*

*choke*

*spit out coffee*

*go do dishes/walk the dog/watch TV/wallow in huge pool of misery and promise to never look at the computer again because there's no way I can face those lame stupid ignorant words any longer what a waste of a bazillion hours of my life I could have spent catching up on Malcom in the Middle reruns I give up*

Now what?

7 comments:

Andi said...

ok, you made me smile - a lot, until your panic attack at the end!

you got it girl. shine it up and share it with the world.

Linda Cassidy Lewis said...

Hmmmm, I think I've done that ... about a million times! Thanks for the smile.

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Andi - This happens to me at least a few times a week. And I get through it. I step away, do the pinky thing, and go back. Rinse, wash, repeat. ;)

Linda - Pretty common procedure in the writing process, right? Thought it would be nice for people to read that someone else has done it too. =)

Melissa Hurst said...

Yes, I've done this way too many times. You're not alone:)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh that is perfect!!!

Bethany said...

Just keep writing, just keep writing.
http://www.almightydad.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dori.jpg


Also, you obviously have a very strong voice, as it evident by your blog posts! I'd put my money on tired :)

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Melissa - This is EXACTLY my thoughts. (Get it? Kinda like the title of my blog... HAHAHA) The more we all stick together, the slightly more sane we might become.

L. Diane - Thanks!

Bethany - Write. Keep writing. (Notice the pun there? Of course you did.) Now I'm off to check that link out.;)