When a book still pricks at your brain days later, it's a keeper

So I've been on a reading frenzy the past couple of weeks and I thought I'd ask what you've read lately that really stood out. I used to think a "perfectly written story" made the perfect book, where the words were amazing and things ended all tied up and nice and you heaved a contented sigh of relief and went about your day (or promptly fell asleep), but my opinion has changed over the years and now I think the ones forever in my "favorite" category are the ones still pricking at my brain days later while I try to come to terms with it all.

Two that have stuck with me recently are:

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman (you can read my review here)

Bruiser

"There’s a reason why Brewster can’t have friends – why he can’t care about too many people. Because when he cares about you, things start to happen. Impossible things that can’t be explained. I know, because they're happening to me."

When Brontë starts dating Brewster “Bruiser” Rawlins – the guy voted “Most Likely to Get the Death Penalty” her twin brother, Tennyson, isn’t surprised. But then strange things begin to occur. Tennyson and Brontë’s scrapes heal unnaturally fast, and cuts disappear before their eyes. What at first seems like their good fortune turns out to be more than they bargained for…much more.


and

Tamar by Mal Peet (no review because I just wasn't even sure how to put it into words).

Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal

When her grandfather dies, Tamar inherits a box containing a series of clues and coded messages. Out of the past, another Tamar emerges, a man involved in the terrifying world of resistance fighters in Nazi-occupied Holland half a century before. His story is one of passionate love, jealousy, and tragedy set against the daily fear and casual horror of the Second World War -- and unraveling it is about to transform Tamar’s life forever. 

From acclaimed British sensation Mal Peet comes a masterful story of adventure, love, secrets, and betrayal in time of war, both past and present.


Both of these are young adult books, though Tamar actually has adult POV as well. I swear I knew until the very ending of Tamar what was going on. Yeah, no. Boy did I get thrown for a loop. It bothered me for days.

So. There are two of my "pick your brain keepers". What books are picking at your brain? Feel free to share in the comments (I love adding to my TBR list)!

Be blessed,

Jessica




No comments: